Name that Phenomenon

Tuesday, November 11, 2008 | |

What is the name of the phenomenon that happens when two people walking down the street meet each other, hesitate and move in the same direction, sometimes it happens twice, rarely three times.

I think it was mentioned in Science of Sleep, if you own that movie.

Google has failed me on this one. See if you can search better than I can.

It's not L'esprit de l'escalier
nor the Pauli Effect
and definitely not the Baader-Meinhof phenomenon



wade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
wade said...

I don't know if this is the official term, but Wikipedia says its called "parallel synchronized randomness."

paul said...

ahh yes... I skimmed the Science of Sleep article and it seems that the exact definition was elusive in that article but

provides the better explanation, the one which I vaguely remembered form the film.

Do you think this is the legit name?

wade said...

I get the feeling its just a term Gondry made up for the movie. Seems to describe the situation well enough though.